Thursday, January 21, 2010

Husky needs a home!

Some of you know, and some of you don't, that the day before my cerclage surgery I found a husky running around and fell in love with her.

IMG_3883

I got a call from Pinal County Animal Control the other day letting me know that they were never able to locate the owners of the dog. I *think* her name was Stormy - and to be honest did we not have a baby on the way I would have found some way to convince Kelley to let us keep her.

IMG_3882

Right now (or last I knew) Stormy is at the Pinal County Animal Shelter at: 764 S Eleven Mile Corner Road, Casa Grande Arizona, 85122. You can reach an answering service for them (that can answer questions) by calling (520) 866-7600

IMG_3896


Stormy is a very good looking Siberian Husky (I'm pretty sure pure bred), I would guess 1-3 years old, and female. Animal control let me know she has been spayed.

IMG_3893

Stormy has a great temperament and was just an awesome dog all round. She was very well mannered for any dog, let alone a stray. Stormy knew the basic commands; "sit", "down", "no", "come", and "stay" (to some degree) and was housebroken. She was a very fast learner, and learned our "no dogs in the kitchen" rule after being told out twice.

IMG_3895

She got along great with both of our dogs, with only two exceptions the entire three days that we had her. The first exception is that our dog Anja is very protective of me and was trying to push Stormy away from me while I was petting Stormy, which resulted in some growling. The second was after I had given out bones to chew on and our dog Chubbs had finished hers and went after Stormy's. This one resulted in teeth bared, actual growling fight where I had to pull them apart. There was no blood, but I can't say had I not been right there that there would not have been. At the same time this was an establishing dominance thing, and anytime you bring in a new dog they are going to have to work out who's top dog.

IMG_3894
(Stormy with our Anja (the red/tan dog)

Stormy is a dog that is not used to being outside when her friends and family are inside. Our biggest problem was that if she was the only one outside she would whine, howl, and scratch to be let inside. Once she found out what window led to the bedroom she would run to the bedroom window and pop up to tell us she wanted in - and would sit there and whine if she knew we were close by. She did fine if our dogs were outside with her, because she wasn't alone, but if everyone was inside and she got bored, she wanted in with her buddies.

IMG_3890

I did not know that husky's are generally a bad mix with cats, I was told after the fact that they are. Stormy, however, got along great with our demon, err cat, Tazz. It was nasty outside and I let her in for a little while and our cat didn't even phase her. Tazz stalked her for about half an hour and Stormy would just look at him, sniff him, and move on. At one point Tazz started playing with her, attacking her legs like they were prey, and batting her tail, and Stormy would paw at Tazz, but that was it. Stormy did do the "doggy playtime" thing at one point and her and Tazz played for a few minutes before Anja broke it up. I'm not saying trust your cat's life with her, just that for the time we had her she got along great with our cat. It would be a "keep an eye on them" thing for the first few weeks/months.

IMG_3886

The only things I feel the need to warn people about are that Stormy is a jumper. She jumped our 5-6 foot (depending on which area of the fence) block wall fence twice. The first was to get into the back yard with our dogs and play. The second time was when Anja and I were out front playing frisbee and Stormy wanted to play too, so she jumped the fence to join us. If you were going to leave her outside without supervision I would advice a long leash for those times. The other is she needs somewhere to run - she loved playing ball and would run like the wind any time she could and had a blast doing it. The last, as I mentioned, is she is an indoor dog that wants to be with her family, not left outside all day long.

IMG_3884
(it's blurry because she's running so fast, even my camera couldn't get a clear shot)

If you have any other questions please post them here and I'll get back as soon as I can. I figure since we can't keep her, I'm going to do my best to find her a home. Also, feel free to share this blog with other people who might be interested in Stormy.

No comments:

Post a Comment