Thursday, July 9, 2009

Think you had a rough week?

There are quite a few people who are aware that last week was the "week from hell" for Kelley and I. There are a few who know the details, and many who don't.

Kelley has a smoker that he's used a million times before. He's smoked everything from salmon, to a whole turkey, to he's last item which was bacon. We decided Kelley would make some more bacon... what we've done before is he'll set it up and I check on it during the day while he's at work.

Tuesday Kelley started the bacon ... and we have a meat thermometer that you stick the probe into the meat, you set a separate thing up to what temperature you want the meat to be done at, and you get to watch the temperature of what you are cooking from where ever you are.

Now understand that the last time Kelley made bacon (with a slightly smaller pork belly in my opinion) it took seven hours to get to temperature with the exact same set up. It had been almost three hours and the bacon was 20 degree's from being done already. This sort of concerned me some so instead of going back to sleep I decided to take a shower instead.

I walked back into the bathroom to start my shower, had my shirt and shorts off, and smelled burning plastic. Wondering if I had left something to close to the smoker I decided to go check and threw on Kelley's heavy robe. As I'm walking around the corner the smoke alarm in the house goes off, and I look at the back porch and an entire wall of our porch is on fire. Yeah. Bad.

I call the dogs, grab the phone, dial 911, and get the dog leashes. I realize I don't have time to get clothes, or dressed, so I head out the front door to tie the dogs up somewhere. My house phone is STILL ringing for 911. (Yeah, talk about pissed).

I open the front door and there is a woman standing there with her cell phone out, I asked her to call 911 - which she said she already had - and was told that they had received multiple calls already. This woman was awesome and offered to hold my huge dogs while I ran back in to grab our cat. Which I found and was very glad that our bed was no longer on the frame or he would have been under it.

To make a long story short it was 110 degree's out, I'm standing out in the very very hot sun with no shoes and in a very thick robe with my house on fire.

We ended up very lucky and the fire only shattered the first pane of glass on our patio sliding door, and didn't get through the final bit of wall to the garage. We did end up with a lot of smoke in the house, and our power and water couldn't be turned on due to melting of the wires and pipes in the wall.

The patio is completely trashed. Our dogs can't stay here because of all the stuff in the backyard and chemicals from the fire. We also can't use our sliding glass door.

The good news? Turns out all it takes to get a maid here is to catch your house on fire. The insurance company is covering them coming in and wiping all of our house down, and the dusting. They also covered having every single piece of fabric professionally cleaned (yes down to the last washcloth).

That's the first thing.
Next, the problems with the baby, and finding out we have no way of keeping Christopher.
Our third - as I was being induced in the beginning and the contractions started getting really bad Kelley gets called down to the ER to find out his car had been broken into while he was at the hospital with me.

1 comment:

  1. At least they left me the kitchen towel to dry off with after my shower

    ReplyDelete