Sunday, June 28, 2009

Update from OB appointment

There were a few things I didn't mention when talking about my last OB visit, sorry finding out we had a boy was more important...

One of those things was that Dr. Dickson is okay with scheduling a C-section. I discussed with him the fact that the nurses and two of the OB's I saw while in the hospital last time seemed afraid/reluctant to deal with the issues that might arise with me being a high risk pregnancy. One of those issues is my back problems. One of the OB's (who I am no longer seeing) went so far as to say that due to my L4-L5-S1 lumbar fusion I "will have a hard time finding an anesthesiologist that will touch" me. I guess thier favorite area to do an epidural is the L4-L5 area, and with me that will not be an option at all due to the hardware there.

No, a C-section isn't definite at this point, but I think both Kelley and I agree that it would be much less stressful, and dangerous on my back. Several OB's in the past have mentioned that I would be an "automatic C-section" due to the fact that I could quite easily rupture/herniate/buldge another/more disc's in my back during labor. I would hate to choose regular labor and hurt my back further and be unable to take care of the baby due to that injury.

Another thing is that the more I think about it, the better I think it would be for Christopher if I breast feed. So, after discussing it with Dr. Dickson he agreed that if I really want to, it's done correctly, and my pain levels/body can handle it he would be okay with me coming off of my pain medications prior to delivery. His concern (as expressed before) is that severe pain, like what I deal with on a daily basis, is dangerous for both me, and the unborn baby. Even moderate pain levels have been known to cause pre-term (early) delivery, problems during delivery, in some cases (earlier on during pregnancy than I would be dealing with it) miscarriage. If I were to stay off of the pain medications for more than a few weeks while carrying Chris it could cause brain damage, heart damage, birth defects, and miscarriage. The reason behind that is that increased pain raises your blood pressure as well as other things that I can't remember, none of which are good for a growing baby.

I can't promise that I will be able to go without the pain medication, but I do want to find out. Just getting off of the pain medication long enough so that Chris won't be born dependant/addicted to the medication to me would be good. It would be one less thing that we would have to worry about, weaning him off the medication, and having a newborn going through the symptoms/problems associated with withdrawal. Another thing for me at least is all the benefits of breast feeding, even if it is only for a couple days or weeks. I would be willing to deal with the pain (I hope) in order to give him that jump start... it would also save on formula. I figure we will work on making sure that Chris drinks both breast milk and formula if possible so that when the time comes for me to start the medications again, due to pain and needing to take care of a newborn, it won't be as stressful on him.

All of my doctors at this point are making it clear that the choice is up to me, and they will support me whichever way I decide to go, which is great. I can say that the team of my regular OB Dr. Edwards, the high risk OB Dr. Dickson, and my pain management doctor Dr. Halter are working out great. It is such a relief that they are allowing me to make the choices here and not be forced down one path or another just because of my back, or it would be easier on them or me. All three are interested more in what is good for the baby and me, before what will make their lives easier. I'm very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment