Friday, May 1, 2009

12w6d Ultrasound

No, we didn't find out if it was a boy or a girl, it's still too early for that.

The reason for this ultrasound was to do a NT Test or Nuchal Translucency Test - The test is done to check your risk of Downs Syndrome, something called Trisomy 13, and something called Trisomy 18. Woo hoo - and no I'm not making this up - I literally just got the phone call from Obstetrix (my high risk OB office, who did the test) and I scored an A++. Based on my age my chances of delivering a baby with Downs Syndrome is 1 in 210, based on the test my chances are less than 1 in 10,000. Based on my age the chances of having a baby with Trisomy 13 or 18 was 1 in 510, based on the test the chances are now less than 1 in 10,000. YAY!

1


The best thing about this ultrasound was that Kelley was there. He got to see the baby for the first time, and see and hear the heart beat. I didn't really get to "see" the baby for the 6 week ultrasound that they did, but I got to see a heart beat and that there was something there. I can't tell you how cool it is to be able to look up at a screen and see a life that is growing inside of you, just the difference 6 weeks has made is incredible.

1


It was also amazing being there getting to see Kelley seeing the baby. It was hard for me to choose what to watch, Kelley's face, or the baby on the screen. The ultrasound tech was also trying to get the best picture for the NT Test, so he pounded on the baby a little bit by bumping my tummy with the ultrasound thing, and we got to see the baby move in reaction, that was also way cool.

3


Our bean now actually kinda looks like a person - or at least he doesn't look like a blob anymore. Sort of looks like one of those drawings they show of what aliens should look like - big, huge heads, and tiny little bodies. We could see arms and legs, which was way cool. Got to see the arms move (I think he was flipping off the tech for waking him up), and see him switch positions.

(Yes I am aware I'm referring to our baby as a "him". We don't know the sex of the baby yet, but I have a feeling baby will be a boy, and I just don't like calling bean "it".)

So here are the pictures that were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment