Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why do anything half way?

For the past couple of weeks I've been having "sinus fun". I called into my OB's office and was told I could take Benedryl or Claritin to clear up my allergies. No big deal. We go out, get the drugs, I take the drugs, I feel the same. Normally, when "allergy" time hits I get the GOOD drugs - the make it to where no matter what's wrong with you, you don't feel it stuff. The stuff with - SEVERE at the end that has so much medicine in it you HAVE to feel better. Well, the good drugs and pregnancy aren't allowed. I figured I'd just deal with the allergy stuff, and all the fun that goes along with it.

Monday I woke up, and it looked and felt like my left tonsil had decided it was pregnant too. Except it was all hurty and crap. It's just part of the whole allergy deal with me, so I just kinda did the "it'll go away" thing. Yesterday it was really painful (now come on people, you know about my back, I felt the stupid tonsil even with the back pain, and with the medicines for the back pain, it HURT.) My left ear also decided it wanted in on the "make Tammy miserable" game day - so it chimed in. After a week of crappy sleep - I blamed the baby for the hot and cold flashes, they said it's a pregnancy thing - then the whole can't lay this way it hurts the ear/throat/head/body thing, not being able to breathe through my nose which dried out my throat which made it hurt worse, I was miserable yesterday.

I've decided that they are right when they say no one does bitchy/whiny/miserable/complaining/pathetic like a pregnant woman. I've been sick before - but I broke down over it yesterday... BIG time.

I called my OB who said that I need to see if they can fit me in as an appointment today, or go in as a walk-in. No appointments open so I walked in - which wasn't that bad to be honest.

The tech took my blood pressure - great she said. She then took my temperature - not great she says - 101.9 - I think her words were "that's bad, how long have you been running a fever?" I told her I didn't know, we don't have a thermometer, but probably a few days based on the chills. I was then ordered to get a thermometer because fevers and baby's aren't allowed.

Since I had a temperature and a sore throat she took a swab to run the quick strep throat test. Which hurt I might add. Nothing like saying hey, my throat is killing me, it's so raw I'm getting bits of blood in my phlem why not take a swab and hack it to pieces.

The doctor comes in feels my throat - another "not good". Listens to my chest, heart, and breathing - I felt like I deserved a cookie because that was a "sounds good". She bangs my face (yes, ask Kelley a doctor told him that's the technical term for it) - does this hurt? "yeah, can we stop now?" How about here? "If I say no can we stop hurting me?" Doctor talks about how I'm feeling - "Like someone just took a hammer to my forehead." (Doctor found my I'm irritated and in pain sarcasm very funny). She then looks at my ears - one ear good, one ear not as bad as it could have been. Then my throat, doctor points out I wasn't joking when I said my left tonsil was pretty inflamed. (You think?).

We then talk more about my symptoms and just to be on the safe side she decides to run a quick flu test. Now - let me tell you - this flu test sounds easy enough, they swab your nose. What they don't tell you is that they are sending a swab in places in your nose that aren't supposed to be reached. I still don't think my nose has forgiven me for allowing her to violate it that way.

The diagnosis when all is said and done? I do sick GOOD. Strep throat, sinusitis, tonsilitis, and a mild "just starting" ear infection. The good news? It's nothing that good ole penicillin won't cure. The bad news? I'm contagious for 48 hours, so no kissy kissy with Kelley. I'm also freaking miserable, but I did have an excuse to go out and buy popcicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment