Tuesday, May 5, 2009

OMG, I look pregnant! May 5, 2009

Everyone I have talked to talks about how they started "showing" their pregnancy at different times. For some people it was at the six week point, yet with others you couldn't tell they were pregnant until they hit their seventh month.

When I was in Virginia hanging out with family I started having "showing" moments. Really, just moments. One minute I would look like normal Tammy, the next minute there would be a cantaloupe sitting in my tummy. All of my pregnancy books say this is "perfectly normal". Pretty much they said it was bean rearranging furniture in my tummy making him/herself comfortable in there. I guess when you start shoving organs this way and that way food has to learn to go down a little bit differently, and when it's got a couch shoved up against it here or there it takes a little longer to go down.

Then came Saturday. I woke up looking pregnant. Not mildly "oh there's a bump" but wow, she should lay off the Ben and Jerry's. I figured it would disappear, like it had been. Nope - Sunday was more of the same thing. Monday came and I've decided that the bean I'm growing has apparently turned into a watermelon or prize winning pumpkin at the fair. Today, Friday, still got the tummy. Sooo it appears that I am one of the women who's kids decide to show off sooner rather than later. AHH and clothes don't stay on well if you can't button/zipper them, or heck, they just don't go over the bump!

me
(okay this is not a maternity dress or anything so yeah, it's a little tight, but it fits for now)


I'm not sure how many of you reading this have been pregnant - or dealt with someone who has been pregnant (or is - sorry honey for all the evil you have to look forward too); BUT logic and hormones mix about as well as oil and water. Yup, we have waited eight years for me to have the whole preggo belly - but try explaining that to a woman who's had a bad day, who's back hurts like hell, is on bed rest, and is hormonal. So, yes, "looking like a cow" and pregnancy don't mix very well.

It started as "OMG I look like a cow" then turned into "no, I look like the monster that ate the herd of cows". Lets just say I broke down just a little bit. I think the hardest thing was knowing that I spent the past 15 years of my life attempting to lose weight, trying desperately to lose weight, and now I'm "supposed" to be happy that I'm bigger than the Goodyear Blimp. Forgive me, but at the time, it just didn't happen. Yup - I had finally gotten to a weight I was comfortable at, a look I was comfortable with, and suddenly the great pumpkin has decided to take up lodging in my stomach.

still me


Realistically, yes, I knew it was the baby. Have you ever tried explaining ~realistic~ to a pregnant hormonal woman? Add in emotions, a mirror, a rough day, and yeah, you get the picture. Realistic/Logical and pregnant are words that really shouldn't be used in the same sentance.

Today, on the other hand, and most days since, I've been thrilled to look pregnant. It means bean is in there moving around, getting the house organized the way he/she wants it. Setting up shot for the long haul. It means I'm pregnant - and thank God, it looks like I'm staying that way until bean gets tired of looking at the same scenerey.

Thank goodness for mommies thinking well ahead of time! When mom was here in March she bought me a maternity dress that was on clearance, I haven't tried that on yet... BUT she bought me a pair of tan maternity shorts - I didn't think I'd need them for say six more months...

Other good things about the preggo belly? Well, duh, I'm pregnant. (Yay! Happy dance here.) Also, it's like having your own personal TV tray everywhere that you go. I just sit down and BAM! (Said in my best Emeril voice.) It's a portable dining room table. PLUS - now we can play chess on the go. I'm pretty sure a chess board would sit up there quite nicely.

IMG_5258
(okay, again, not a maternity shirt, just one that fit, no comments on falling out the top - big boobage is another pregnancy side effect, I bet guys just HATE that)

Seriously, though, Today I'm stoked. Today I'm thinking "kid is making himself comfy". Today I'm thinking "I'm pregnant". Right now there is this little person inside of me that is part Kelley, part me. There is a little person (even if they look more like an alien life form) inside of me that is a living, breathing, being with a heart beat, a brain, blood flowing through their system. There is a little person in there that will one day enter this world, and cry, and drive Kelley and I crazy. A little person in there that is already thinking, is already feeling. There is a little person in there that will need diapers changed, and bottles fed, books read to him, baths, school, rides, a drivers license, a cap and gown, the whole deal.

How do you not wake up each morning and go to bed at night not thanking God for a miracle like that? Today, I look pregnant. Today, I am pregnant. Today I'm still married to the most wonderful man I've ever known. Tomorrow is the first day of my second trimester. How does life get beter than this?

ALSO - if anyone has any size Large maternity clothes hanging around... I could use them. I think that's also size 12/14ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment